Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed relative or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the total populace, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really worrisome. Because health problems like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. In fact, new studies come out every day showing how important hearing is to your general health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in certain instances even reverse them).
And the final compelling fact is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in income every year. But that expense can actually be reduced by up to 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may simply not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and health. It might also help a child in school who has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into higher education and make a decent living when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are numerous volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.